It's just variance really that brings the bigger wins. In order to maximise profits having decent strategy is essential and it's important you stick to it.
In any given scenario whatever the right thing to do is, it's always the right thing to do. Don't be swayed with what's happened before as the cards have no memory. I always stick by some basic rules, these aren't necessarily perfect strategy
1) Where available ALWAYS play single deck Blackjack
2) Never stand on less than 11, regardless of dealer card
3) Always Double from 10, 11 against dealer 3,4,5,6,7,8
4) Never double against 2,9,10
5) Never take a card if you can bust when dealer showing 4,5,6
6) Always take a card if you have 12, 13 and dealer showing 2 or 3
7) Always take a card if dealer showing 7,8,9,10,A & you have less than 17
8) Always stand once you have 17 or more (not including soft 17)
9) Always split 2 x 7, 2 x 8, 2 x 9 against dealer 2,3,4,5,6,7
10) Always split 2 x 8 against dealer 8 and 2 x 9 against dealer 8,9
11) Always split aces unless dealer showing Ace
12) Always splt 2 x 10 against dealer 3,4,5,6,
13) Never split 2 x 10 against dealer 2,7,8,9,10,A
As well as sticking to these basic principles I also use a progressional staking plan. When you win, increase your stakes, when you lose drop back down to your base stake. This means that when you hit a winning streak you will win more than you would lose on the same amount of losing hands.
I stake using the following pattern
2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5 etc Once I lose I go back to the beginning. My best ever streak was 2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5,6,6,7,7,8,-8. On this streak I won £35 over 14 hands. Had I lost 14 hands in a row my losses would be -£28, so you can see a £7 swing. This can be quite nervy if you've bet £7 and are dealt a pair to split or 11 to double.
I have had a situation where I split 2 x 9 against a 5 and got 2 x 2, so now I have 11 twice and £7 on each hand and, despite the amount of money, you HAVE to double. Chances are you win at least one and probably both hands.
"All you need to ask yourself is do you feel lucky? Well do you......Punk!"